We decided to offer early spay and neuter program at our cattery. All kittens who are sold as pets will be altered before leaving.
There are numerous benefits:
- Kittens have less traumatic surgery. The incision is small and less stitches are needed as well as less blood loss
- Kittens recover quicker. They are fully alert and playing within hours of surgery. The older cats need more time to recover from anesthesia and usually still unsteady hours later
- Kittens have less post-op complications
- Risks are absorbed by us
- You do not need to go through this later. It can be very emotional and nerve-raking to go through the surgery and then recovery.
- Reduce unwanted behavior such as spaying, scratching, fighting and yowling.
- Preventing population growth. Most people do not know that cats can get pregnant as early as 4 months. One of the study showed that about 50% of the pregnancies are not planned.
- Reducing number of `backyard` breeders